Thursday, September 30, 2010

"Shooting Dad" Dialogue

My dad always wanted a boy as his firstborn; a son who would grow up to be just like him but instead he got me.  I know the story very well of how my parents were so excited when they found out my mom was pregnant with their first baby, how my dad swore to everyone that it would be a boy, and how my mom waited for him to find out on his own whether or not he was right, on the day of my birth.  Since that moment and on, I’ve always been so much like my dad that it’s even hard for us to get along.  I believe this what happened to Sarah Vowell with her dad; not the part where my dad expected a boy but the part where they’re so much alike on their own different ways that it becomes difficult to relate to one another.  On her story, Vowell explains how her relationship with her father is complicated by their differences on politic matters, hobbies, and their similar opinionated characters.
In my mind, I would always judge my dad of being a “crazy old man” when he would come up with his “macho man” ideas.  That’s probably something that Vowell would also think about her dad making guns, that he was crazy.  My dad was raised by his parents to be that way so I do understand where his coming from yet, that has been the reason of most of our disagreements, since I’ve become a bit “feminist” myself. Nevertheless, just like Vowell, I’ve also come to realized that I’m just like my dad; I fight for what I believe in, which is something that I’ve learned from him.  Perhaps, Vowell and I were meant to be just like our respective fathers but with a little twist due to the time in which they grew up compare to ours. 
I respect the fact that my dad never forced me to believe that I should be a stay-at-home mom who should also obey her husband’s will with not right to express her own opinion but instead he has encouraged me to pursue a career so I would never depend on a man, like my mom did for many years.  Vowell didn’t like arms but was decided to shoot her father’s remaining with the cannon that he himself had built; she wanted respect his last will just like he had respect her ideas from the moment she was born.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Estela,

    Thanks for sharing your story. It would make a great topic for the next essay.

    I like your point: "Since that moment and on, I’ve always been so much like my dad that it’s even hard for us to get along." I think common consensus is that people like those who are similar to them. (Just think about the cliques that exist in high school--they're not usually diverse groups). But I agree with you; in this case, they're so much alike, they drive each other crazy. They can't balance each other; instead, they antagonize each other.

    Thanks for giving me more to think about.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this essay. You made me realize something that I did not think of when reading "Shooting Dad"; Sarah and her father were actually very much alike. They both shared strong opinons (although polar opposite of each other) and they both were very much involved in their respective passions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Estela,

    I can relate on how your dad expected a boy for his first born, because that was what my dad expected as well but instead he got a girl actually he got four girls and no boys. And all four times my mom was pregnant my dad was very sure that we were all boys till we we're born. We all laugh about it now and he says that he wouldn't change us for the world. But of course out of all my sisters my father and I are the ones that are so similar but different at the same time. We just never agree on anything and we always have to be right. And that's how Sarah and her father were in "Shooting Dad".

    ReplyDelete
  4. The analogy is spot on with father daughter troubles. Some children are born into a family who are focused really on what they want, and it sometimes wont be what the children are in to or want, but it seems in the story it all works out in the end.

    ReplyDelete