Sunday, September 19, 2010

Rules for Writers Chapeter 2

In Chapter 2 from “Rules for Writers” by Diana Hacker, she talks about ideas to consider while writing a rough draft of an essay that would also make the job flow easier.  First, Hacker suggests taking some time before beginning to write to organize the main points of your essay including your thesis or tempting thesis, for example, on an outline.  Once you have an idea of the points that you would like to cover on you essay, you can begin by writing you introduction which would include your thesis.  An introduction would normally be a paragraph between 50 to 150 words but in the case of a longer paper the introduction might even extent to be more than just one paragraph.   If you feel like you’re stuck on your introduction, Hacker mentions that giving it a little rest and leaving it for later could be a good way to relieve some of the pressure off; you can start by working on the body and then go back to your introduction.  It is very important to hook your reader from the beginning of your paper, so Hacker gives some ideas that could help you accomplish that goal, such as:  giving a vivid example, a description, a quote or an anecdote.   While working with your thesis is good to ask yourself if your thesis is too factual or too broad or even too vague for the kind of essay that you’re writing.  Hacker says that is good to write a paragraph on each of your main ideas this would give a more “workable order” to your ideas.  Lastly, the conclusion is also a very important part of the essay, just like everything else; It must “remind readers of the essay’s main ideas” but trying to avoid repetition as well as introducing whole new ideas.
After writing this summary I realized that it could have really helped me out working on the chapter before I wrote the conclusion of my essay.  Luckily, there is three more essays coming up and I know this chapter would be very useful.  Also writing a thesis scare me a little, because I’m always afraid it might be too broad so I’ll use many of the advices that Hacker suggests on this chapter for my next work.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Estela,
    You described everything perfectly and I am sure that you can improve your writing with using the points mentioned in the chapter.The only suggestion that I have for you is to double check your writing after drafting so you will find your grammatical mistakes which I noticed in your writing.

    ReplyDelete