Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Introduction Dialogue

Hi Everyone,

My name is Estela Bustamante.  I'm originally from Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico.  My family and I moved to the United States about 7 years ago and we've been living in Sonoma ever since.  I'm 21 years old and the eldest of five; since I was young I felt a big responsibility to set the example for the little ones on the family, although, it is not always easy to do so.  I graduated from Sonoma High and when straight to enroll at SRJC, during my first year, I was having some serious trouble concentrating and getting my work done that I decided it was time for my brain to take a break.  Finally after some time off, I feel like I'm ready to go back to school and finish what I started.  I'm still not quite sure of my major but I know I'll find what would really passion me.

Something I consider important to mention is that English is not exactly one of my favorite subject, as it isn't my native language.  Probably one of the most frustrating things of learning a new language is when it comes to write papers; because I know what I want to say, I know the emotions and feelings that I want the paper to reflect but no knowing the "right" way to do so can be very stressful.  Of course, I also have to considerate that fact that I'm just a really bad writer.  I'm a little bit of a perfectionist and that affects my timing.  I can stare in from of a computer or notebook for hours and hours working on the same two sentences; finishing a paragraph after paragraph and erasing it all.  That's just something I have to work on.  Finally, I simply would like to add that I'm happy to be back at school; that I hope we all do great on this class, as well as in others and on any personal project that we might have.  Best of the lucks, everyone.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Estela,

    I'm the oldest too, so I can relate to the sense of responsibility you feel. Taking a break is a good idea! People always encourage students to go straight from high school to college, but some students are really burned out and need the break.

    You need to read "Freewriting Exercises" by Peter Elbow. It's the first reading we'll do from our course reader. Freewriting will help you let go of the stress that comes with writing, and instead focus on your ideas.

    Looking forward to working with you.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Estela,
    I picked your blog, to read because I thought your last name was brazilian, but none the less very honest and interesting. I took a 7 year break from school. One thing I have learned, is its never too late to go back. I also liked that you are trying to make a good example for your younger siblings. If I had an older brother or sister whipping me into school. I would have done this a little earlier.

    Hope to read more of your blogs. Johnson Au

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon,
    I am from Mexico too. I am from Chihuahua. I understand how you are feeling about English; I also had a lot of trouble with it when I was younger. English is one of those things that is a continues effort for me. Let me know if there is anything that I can help you with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Estela,
    I can really relate to you. I myslef take time off of school sometimes because it gives me a break. My parents are from mexico, do you go often? I myslef try to be a good role model for my cousins, because i see how tough life can be. If you ever need help, just let me know.
    Myra A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Estela,

    I enjoyed reading your blog & getting to know a little about you. My parents are also from Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico so growing up my first language was Spanish and soon after I learned English. So I understand that learning English as a second language could be hard. I admire that you were able to take a break from school and were able to return back. I know lots of people that take a break from school but never end up coming back, they say that it’s to hard to come back. I’m pretty sure you’ll fine a major your passionate about it’s a good thing you are taking your time. Well good luck. Rosio

    ReplyDelete