Freewriting is not more than putting what is on your mind down onto a paper. Now, going deeper into what freewriting means, there are two basic rules to follow when freewriting, and those are: first, it has to be short, and second, but most important, never stop writing. During freewriting, you would normally have a topic, if it is for a class or a particular paper that you are working on, which you would have to write about for some time between 10 to 15 minutes. The topic is normally meant for you to have a starting point, sometimes you’ll find yourself writing about stuff unrelated to the original topic, and that ok; the whole idea here is to make it easier for you, and me, to write without “editing” ourselves minds, because there is where I personally find myself getting stock the most trying to find the right word or phrase.
The purpose of freewriting is to help create a smooth and less painful way of writing. Of course, freewriting is not a new magical wand that will help you get the job done in one simple step; on the contrariety, freewriting would most likely add more writing to your usual way of doing papers. The magic on this method is that if you practice it with regularity it promises to take away some of the fears that come hand-to-hand with the word “write”. This technique is meant to liberate us from all the grammatical rules, and fears of misspelling that in many occasions frustrated us to the point where we decided to quit, and just focus on writing.
What is great about this technique is that you can even turn it into a freewriting dairy, that way it doesn’t really feel like you doing school work. Simply take 10 minutes before going to bed, or at any free moment that you possibly can and write about your day. It feels like this is just what I needed to lose some of the fears that have been hunting me for many years. I’ll see how it goes; hopefully it helps me improve my writing skills.
Hi Estela,
ReplyDeleteNot editing myself is still the hardest aspect of freewriting for me. My old habit of wanting to edit as I go along is hard to break. I like your point about freewrites helping to take away the "fears that come hand-in-hand with the word 'write'". I think it's so true that many students fear and have anxiety over writing. Just taking away those two feelings will make the writing we produce stronger.
Thanks for giving me more to think about!
Lauren
Hello Estela,
ReplyDeleteI still haven't been able to get past editing myself as I do a free write. I think it will get easier as we do more and more of them. I also agree that many students, if not all, fear making mistakes when they are writing. I am guilty too. I hope that I become a better writer from doing the free writes. Thank you for your insight on the subject.
Hello Estela,
ReplyDeleteI like your statement about having a fear of the word write. I think that is my biggest problems with the freewrites is that I am not a very good speller so I have a lot of miss spelled words so I keep going back to fix it. I also hope this will help me to become a better writer.
Hello Estela,
ReplyDeleteI think your advice in creating a nightly freewrite exercise is good. I have tried journal writing off and on but find that I am even carefull when doing that to the point of censoring. Editing myself is a consist in the the back of my mind. Hopefully these points will help us all.
BetteJo
Hi Estela,
ReplyDeleteI have a hard time trying not to edit myself as I write my freewrite. It's really hard. Maybe these freewrites will help us all become better spellers
Hi Estela,
ReplyDeleteI like what you said about turning free writes into a diary. I agree that this way people won't see them as school work and they will be more likely to write them. And overtime it will be easier to write more and more.
-Leticia
Hi estela,
ReplyDeletei really agree with you editing isnt my thing either, but after a while teachers really help you with that and i know it gets scary to write because you get afraid of mistakes, but i know you'll do great and good luck
Myra a